Healthy Communities Start With You
Saving lives starts with you and your community. Many states have a wide variety of programs and events that educate the public about the dangers of abusing and misusing prescription drugs. Select your state from the drop-down menu above to find medication disposal locations and prescription drug awareness events.
Medication disposal: Many communities have permanent drug drop boxes where residents can drop off unwanted, expired, or unused prescriptions. Be sure to check whether your local disposal facility accepts controlled substances:
- In general, law enforcement locations, such as police departments, accept controlled substances. Click here to learn more about what these substances are and the special considerations they require.
- Non-law enforcement locations usually do not accept controlled substances.
- If you cannot find a drug disposal facility in your area that meets your needs, learn how to dispose of drugs at home.
Drug awareness events: Communities across the country are joining forces to educate the public about prescription drug abuse and misuse. Events include:
- Information sessions hosted by the Indiana Board of Pharmacy staff about the state’s prescription monitoring programs and the “Rx Watch” program.
- Educational displays at open houses, such as the one that students at the University of Tampa presented at a health fair.
We are happy to answer any questions that you might have or supply additional information. Please feel free to contact AWARxE at any time. After all, we're in this together.